Tuesday, June 3, 2008

water...or lack thereof

Turning the faucet, I am ready to wash my face from another sweltering day; the water starts slowly coming out in brown bursts. I wait a couple seconds till the water turns to a clear color. As I walk to my small kitchen to wash the dishes it is the same procedure: Turn the water on, wait till it comes clear, then Lord willing do the dishes. A few times I have turned the water on to find that nothing is happening, no water comes out.

About twice a week House of Hope has had trucks bringing water to us. But even with the water bringing brought in we are still limited on the usage. Actions such as: mopping the floor, doing dishes, showers, and drinking the water, have been restrained. House of Hope has bought lots of plastic wear which are used for every meal. Ironically it is cheaper to buy plastic cups and plates and throw them away then to pay for water to wash the dishes. This is something that when living in America I never had to deal with. I always had lots of clean water, and loved swimming in my pool over the summer. It has been one more change of perspective for my mind to grasp, but it is something good to understand. There are people all over the world without clean drinking water. I know back home (in America) I always thought it was amusing that people die from not having clean drinking water, but every time we flush a toilet we wasted so much good water.


Please continue to pray for the families around here who have run out of water and/or are getting water shipped in.

No comments: