Wednesday, January 30, 2008
A glimpse of God
On Tuesday I went to the Azack refugee camp with four other Americans that did not know Arabic and one translator. We walked into a very poor home in the refugee camp with the intention of handing them some food, but God had other plans. It was about 11:00AM when we arrived at the rows of cinder block houses. The wind blew through our clothes till it felt like our bones were actually getting frozen. We slowly stepped up the stairs and reached a small room in one of the tiny homes. The room was plain, it had an old tile floor that was peeling up and then hidden by a rug. The chairs were plastic lawn chairs that were surely showing their age. There were kids everywhere, in this small house lived two families equaling seventeen people and one on the way. The kids quickly moved off their chairs and had us sit down, within minutes a full meal was before us and there were thirty-four eyes watching us to see if we would receive their hospitality by taking the food. Being the only person there besides the busy translator that spoke Arabic, I took my small Arabic knowledge and started talking to some of the kids. As a tiny baby fell asleep in my arms a young man was telling me how he wanted to know more about Jesus. As he spoke in the background I heard the Muslim prayer echo through Bethlehem. Our conversation moved on and headed to music and dancing, he then proceeded to show me his break dancing but had to stop because of shortness of breath. As he gasped for air he allowed me to lay hands on him and just pray. That story is just a glimpse of how God is already working in the homes here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
neat story guys ... keep up the hard work, and especailly staying open to what that Father is up to.
~Ryan
Hi Melody, Great story...thank you!
How are you and the group? This is Dana (Stardust the clown) I met you at the guesthouse at the Bible college. I think it was you and Andrew that walked with me and Aman to the refugee camp and to take photos of the wall. I would like to keep in touch with you guys, do you have an email? I would be interested in knowing about what is going on there. I heard about a home demolition in Bethlehem from a student at the college and some violence, maybe you know more about it? My email is stardust@profgizmo.com
Good luck to you all...stay warm and safe! Blessings, Dana Humphrey
Post a Comment