Monday, April 28, 2008

Jesus, Name Above All Names


Hot, sandy beach. Salty sea breeze. Loud music. Variety of religions. Thousands of teens. Out of control. Intimidating. Darkness. These are some of the words that come to mind as I reminisce about Bombamela, a new age festival held on Nitzanim Beach in southern Israel. The celebration is three days long and filled with uncontrolled teenagers looking for something in life. Audrey and I had the opportunity to attend the festival, but were not prepared for this kind of atmosphere. It was a big change from the little town of Bethlehem. At first, it seemed like harmless fun, but as the week went on we soon realized how dark and out of control it really was.

The festival sparked the interest of Jewish teens between the ages of 13-19. I thought there would be more of an older crowd, but I was wrong. This new age festival opened up an opportunity for Jesus Christ to be shared to these teens. There were other religions and spiritual aspects at the festival, but Audrey and I were there to share the love of Jesus Christ. We went with the Bible Society based out of Jerusalem. We stayed in tents along the beach. We met many people who all had the desire to share Jesus with these young people.

As we walked along the beach, we would randomly start up conversations with the teens. It was interesting to see why they had come to the festival, their beliefs, and desires in life. A number of times, I was able to start good conversations with people. A few times, I was able to share about how Jesus had changed my life. I asked each person I talked to, not take my word for it, but to delve into the Old and New Testament for answers and proof. Over and over I have learned to not trust one person's opinion, but to search to see if it is real. I got the overwhelming feeling that these teens do not search for the truth, but take ideas based on what they have been told by teachers and rabbis. In Matthew, it says "The spirit is willing, but the body is weak" (Matt. 26:41). As human beings, we fall short of complete understanding because we get bogged down by sin and distractions. We need to be willing to allow God to work through us so that we can understand. We need to trust in God and not just in the theology of man. This opportunity to mingle with Jewish teens allowed me to encourage them to search for the truth.

The spiritual warfare was overwhelming at times. We continued to have numerous problems with the Orthodox Jews. I was amazed at how much they focused on us and not on the other influences at the festival. There were all kind of horrible influences such as drinking, drugs, inappropriate outfits, and other religions. I began to see how much influence the name of Jesus Christ really has on life. Jesus Christ has the power even when the situation seems hopeless. We were the light within the darkness of sin and deception. We were able to being love, peace, and hope. "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). Although it may seem overwhelming, we need to keep shining within the darkness.

No comments: